Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid packages usually consist of three aid types:


Scholarships/grants are gifts that do not have to be repaid. Funds for need-based grants and merit-based scholarships come from the University itself, as well as foundations, corporations, state agencies and the federal government.

Student Loans

Student loans are funds borrowed for educational expenses and must be repaid with interest by the borrower.

Campus Employment

Campus employment provides opportunities for students to earn funds for their educational expenses. Although students are not assigned specific jobs or placements by the Office of Financial Aid, financial aid recipients are often given preference in campus hiring. Financing for campus employment comes from the University and the federal government. Students who qualify for the Federal Work Study program have additional opportunities for employment in the area of community service.

Applying for Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required each year for all federal financial aid programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study. The form can be found at studentaid.gov, and Bucknell’s FAFSA code is 003238. For current/returning students, our deadline is Feb. 15. For incoming first-year students, our deadlines are Nov. 15 for Early Decision 1, Jan. 15 for Early Decision 2, and Jan. 15 for Regular Decision. (For incoming first-year students who also wish to apply for Bucknell need-based financial aid, we require the CSS PROFILE – see below.)

The CSS PROFILE is required if you wish to be considered for Bucknell need-based financial aid, but you only need to file it once, the first time you apply for need-based aid. The form can be found at student.collegeboard.org/profile, and Bucknell’s CSS code is 2050. Our deadlines are Nov. 15 for Early Decision 1, Jan. 15 for Early Decision 2, and Jan. 15 for Regular Decision. If your biological parents are divorced or separated, your non-custodial parent must also complete and submit the CSS Profile by the same deadlines.

Accepted and enrolling incoming first-year students must also submit verification documents by May 5. Current/returning students must submit these by Feb. 15.

Transfer student applicants must file the same documents as first-year students, but the CSS deadline is Nov. 1 for spring enrollment and March 15 for fall enrollment.

International incoming first-year students must complete and submit the Bucknell International Student Financial Aid Application located on our website. (International current/returning students do not have to file this form again.)

Please refer to our literature and website at www.bucknell.edu/FinancialAid for specific application information, types of financial aid and procedures.

All inquiries and questions regarding financial aid at Bucknell should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.